Yes it is true according to documents obtained by The Guardian. It appears that Microsoft has been giving the NSA access to skype calls, Sky drive data and emails.
The documents the Guardian revealed showed the following:
- Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal.
- The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail
- The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide
- Microsoft also worked with the FBI’s Data Intercept Unit to “understand” potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases
- In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism
- Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a “team sport”.
What this means
What this means is that the NSA, CIA and FBI are now treating everyone who uses Skype, hotmail and SkyDrive as a criminal or a terrorist. So when you play on your new Xbox One just remember that in the eyes of the NSA that makes you a terrorist/criminal. Kinect 2.0 will be used to spy on you while you play the Xbox One.
All your Skype calls are now being recorded without your conscent which violates the Data Protection Act as Skype contains personal information, and if Microsoft willingly gives that information to the NSA, the law has been broken.
Oh sure they have to get a court order …. but do you honestly think the NSA will actually bother getting one? Well they might, be it’ll be under false pretenses.
I think we should be given the right to protest against Prisim. If there is one odd thing about the siutation ….. Anonymous haven’t done anything ……. where the hell are they?
Windows 8 …. what I’m actually using is being spyed on by Prisim.
What do you all make of this? Is prisim a good or a bad thing?
- Documents Reveal That Microsoft Let NSA Bypass Its Customers’ Encryption (reason.com)
- Microsoft gave NSA access to emails and Skype video calls, says new report (theverge.com)
- Report: Microsoft working closely with NSA – “easier” access given to Hotmail, Skydrive, Skype (boingboing.net)
- COLLABORATORS: Microsoft Gave NSA Pre-Encrypted Codes to Spy on Outlook, Skype, Hotmail (pumabydesign001.com)
- MS Handed NSA Access To Encrypted Chat & Email (yro.slashdot.org)