Its no secret that I love playing Borderlands 2. Since its release we’ve constantly nagged Gearbox to raise the level cap and increase backpack space among other things. I managed to download the new level cap increase and Ultimate Vault hunter mode, I was playing Borderlands 2 last night and this morning and feel I can give a reasonable first impression.
How you start UVHM
In order to start UVHM you must be at level 50 and have completed all main missions in “True Vault Hunter Mode”. Then when you quit to the menu and press “Continue” it will ask you which mode you want to play. Select “Ultimate Valut Hunter mode” Unlike Borderlands 1, you do no need to have any specific DLC other the the Ultimate Vault Hunter mode DLC.
However if you have only just started a new character you’ll need to complete both normal and TVHM modes before UVHM is unlocked.
What changes in UVHM
- Adds new items to the Black Market:
- One additional ammo upgrade for each ammo type, at 50 Eridium each.
- Two more backpack storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
- Two more bank storage space upgrades, at 50 and 100 Eridium respectively.
- Increases the maximum amount of Eridium players can hold from 99 to 500.
- Adds a new playthrough balanced for top-tier play: Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
- Various bug fixes
- Raises level cap to 61, allowing characters to gain 11 additional levels.
- Characters gain a skill point with every level from 51 to 61, for a total of 11 more skill points.
- Powerful new “Ancient” E-Tech relics and rare Pearlescent-grade weapons can be picked up in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.
Gameplay Changes in UVHM
- Enemy health generally increased 4x.
- Enemies now have a moderate amount of health regeneration.
- Increased duration of slag damage multiplier effect.
- Upped the damage that slagged enemies take from 2x to 3x.
- Weapon swap speed increased to better facilitate slag use.
- Enemies now more likely to drop ammo.
- Loot Midgets are now “Legendary Loot Midgets” that can drop Legendary and other top-tier gear.
- Level cap increased to 61.
According to Gearbox you can reset mission progress and restart UVHM at any time, which is great if you find all your hard earn loot has been leveled out. So in theory you can duplicate decent guns as much as you like. This is great for mission specific loot, for example you get a shit E-tech weapon from killing Doc Mercy, start UHVM again and then face him again to get another one.
The treasure in the Pirate DLC ….. go for it as much as you desire.
Season pass holders get this DLC for free where as those without will have to shell out 400MSP or £4.99 on PSN to get this DLC.
So what do I think of it?
Well its very difficult because the enemies are able to take me out in two hits and my turret doesn’t seem to last as long as it used to do in the other modes, however it still packs quite a punch and have found myself relying on it a lot more than usual.
Its that difficult I haven’t even killed Captain Flynt, things are even more difficult with the Boom Bwem’s cannon, when you blast the gate and have to kill all the bandits that rush you the cannon blasts them to an inaccessible area of the map where they are still alive and can shoot me. I have also noticed that the enemy wave spawns have been increased so you face more enemies.
To be honest the health regeneration on enemies is very minimal and hardly noticeable on standard enemies, however this makes a flame-slag-shock combo needed now more than ever.
As for the level cap its 61, like in Borderlands 1 before they updated it to level 69, but I can’t see that happening with Borderlands 2, well not yet anyway.
Is it worth it?
Yes it is, the difficulty and rewards not to mention the new loot and endless armory/treasure room runs make this DLC way worth it. £4.99 isn’t a massive ammount of money. Considering that it adds extra hours of playtime and a greater challenge, don’t be stingy and give it a shot. The download was only 108kb on Xbox so there’s no reason not to get this DLC.
What are your experiences with the new mode? Let me know in the comments.
- Borderlands 2: Yes, It’s Official Now (epicagames.com)
- Borderlands 2 DLC drops today (lagtheory.wordpress.com)
- You’ll shoot and loot yourself silly in Borderlands 2 (reviews.cnet.com)
- Borderlands 2 Recruits a Playable Psycho Class (escapistmagazine.com)
- Borderlands 2: Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack out now on PC, PS3 & Xbox 360 (vg247.com)